Bourbon Reviews:

Bottling NameMakers Mark Gold Wax
Bottled ByMakers Mark Distillery, Inc. Loretto,KY
TypeKentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey
Alcohol content101 Proof
Availability US: No Longer Available Japan: Available Duty Free: Unknown Europe: Unknown
Views (since 20080612) 20915
Bottling InfoLimited Edition

Review from spun_cookie (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 1185, Created:20080705182642) View discussion on this review.
Purchased at:From a collector
Purchased for:~$100
Info on this bottle:Early 80s bottle... The one you see above...
Nose:There was a slight wood alcohol scent to it but it burns off pretty quick to reveal a sweet vanilla, caramel, and ... if you can smell smooth... smoothness.

There is some floral to it and just a very light touch of cinnamon. At about 1-2 min open it moves to some very light oak... odd enough, at the end of the tasting (very little in the glass), I get pine nuts.. raw pine nuts...

The empty glass gives up a great golden raisin scent that brings back more memories of Old Fitz S-W
Taste:Nice strong vanilla, sweet , touches of floral and honey. There is a wine quality to this that surprises me... a complexity at the mid pallet that touches that perfect blend of oak and juice.

This tastes almost like the S-W Old Fits that I have... but is a little smoother
Finish:Vanilla first, then just a touch of burn then back to the vanilla and

There is some nuts, walnuts I think... maybe pine.

Finish is less than a min (dominate wise) then it lingers with the same effect as honey... just hangs around your mouth in the background like a fond memory
Overall:Ahhh this is a good bottle. Purchased it from a collector. and I opened it right up... Thank you for keeping this for me all these years :o)

Like no other MM I have had. Mike V said old Makers is as good as any bourbon ever was... and hard for me to argue after having this.

The similarities to the OLD Fitz BIB from the 80s is remarkable.

Registered users can make comments on this review...Already registered? Log in here

Search the bourbon reviews:
Display All Bottlers
Display All Reviews